All Saints’ Church Lockerbie
Newsletter October 2018
We are writing to update you on progress in appointing a new Rector and to keep you informed of other activities at All Saints’.
For the past 20 years we have been a member of the Annandale Group along with our sister Churches in Annan, Eastriggs, Gretna and Moffat. Following the retirement of Rev’d John Macleod who served us so well for more than five years, the Bishop and the Dean recommended that we should form a new linked charge along with St John’s Moffat. The remaining three Churches should continue their Linked Charge which will continue to be known as the Annandale Group. This was agreed to by all five charges and by the Rector, Rev’d Martin Callaghan.
Martin ceased to be our Rector on 4 October and the linked charge of Lockerbie and Moffat is therefore vacant and we are free to proceed to appoint our own full time Rector. This post will be full time and both Vestries have agreed that they will use their reserves as necessary to help fund the appointment.
Meantime the Dean has appointed Rev’d Janice Aiton, who is Rector at St John’s Dumfries, to be our interim Priest in Charge. This appointment is warmly welcomed by the Vestries and Janice will be responsible for ensuring that we have adequate ministry cover for our Sunday services and will be available to any member who needs pastoral support.
An advertisement for our new Rector has now been placed on the websites of the two charges and of the Scottish Episcopal Church and will appear in the Church Times each week for at least the next four weeks. The closing date for applications is 5 November and it is planned to hold interviews on 20 and 21 November. Please keep a successful outcome for this recruitment effort in your prayers.
Increased Giving Appeal. Earlier in the summer you would receive a letter explaining the need to increase our regular income in order be able to pay our share of the new full-time post without putting too great a strain on our reserves. The Vestry are very grateful for the generous response to this appeal and wish to thank most sincerely all those who have managed to increase their giving.
Coming Events. The calendar of events until the end of the year is as follows:
* Sunday 28 October. Harvest thanksgiving and blessing of the Shoeboxes before dispatch
* Wednesday 24th October. Vestry meeting at 10.00am.
* Monday 5 November. Closing date for applications for post of Rector.
* Wednesday 7 November. Meeting to consider applications at Moffat 7pm
* November 11 Remembrance Day1
*November 15th Taize Service 7pm
* Thursday 15th November Elevenses at 10.30
* Tuesday 20 and Wednesday 21 November. Interviews.
* Sunday 25 November. AGM following shortened Eucharist 11.15
* Friday 7 December. Concert featuring Langholm Sings at 7.00pm at All Saints’.
* Sunday 16 December. Service of Lessons & Carols.
* Monday 24 December. Sung Eucharist at 6.00pm followed by refreshments.
Should you need any more information or want to make any suggestions please speak to a member of the Vestry